- About DeitY
- Know Your Minister
- Visitor Pass
National Knowledge Network
The Government's decision to set up National Knowledge Network was announced in the Budget Speech, 2008-09. An initial amount of Rs. 100 crore for FY 2008-09 was allocated to the Department for establishing the National Knowledge Network. A High Level Committee (HLC) was set up under the Chairmanship of Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of India to coordinate and monitor the establishment of the National Knowledge Network.
Government has approved the project on Establishment of National Knowledge Network in March, 2010 with an outlay of Rs. 5990 Cr. over a period of 10 years. National Informatics Centre (NIC) is the implementing agency.
The objective of the National Knowledge Network (NKN) is to interconnect all institutions of higher learning and research with a high speed data communication network to facilitate knowledge sharing and collaborative research. It will bridge the existing knowledge gap in the country. It will help the country evolve as a Knowledge Society and spur economic activities in the Knowledge domain. Under this Network, it is proposed that the core and associated links to around 1500 institutions shall be established in 2-3 years time.
The application areas envisaged under the National Knowledge Network cover
- Grid Computing (High Performance Computing)
Current Status( as on 31st May, 2014)
- 1261 links to Institutions have been commissioned and made operational. This includes 341 links to institutions under NMEICT, which have been migrated to NKN.
- 66 Virtual Classrooms have been set up.
- NKN connectivity has also been extended to 286 NIC district centers.
- 89 Nos of Core Links have been commissioned and operational.
- NKN connectivity has been extended to State Wide Area Network (SWAN) in 26 States/UTs and State Data Centre (S,DC) in 23 States/UTs.
Further details can be referred at www.nkn.in
Shri Anil Kumar Balani
Director and HOD(NKN)
Department of Information Technology
Ministry of Communications & Information Technology
Electronics Niketan, 6, CGO Complex,Lodhi Road, New Delhi - 110 003
For more details visit: National Knowledge Network