- Site Counter: 1,840,577
Information Security Education And Awareness Project
A - Information Security Education And Awareness Project
Information security needs to be addressed at all levels, from the individual user to an organisation and beyond to that of the government and the nation. Information Security is becoming synonymous with National Security as Computer Networking, which is vulnerable to cyber attacks, forms the backbone of critical infrastructure of the country banking, power, communication network etc. It is, therefore, important to have secured Computer Systems and Networks. Also, increased focus on outsourcing of IT and other services from developed countries is bringing the issue of data security to the fore.
Problems to be addressed
Information Security is an emerging area. At present there are not many Information security professionals in the country. Also, the Information Security awareness level is low in the country. This necessitates development of specialized manpower, both at high and low ends. Accordingly, Information Security Education and Awareness (ISEA) Project was formulated and launched in March 2005 to be implemented over a period of five years (2005-2010).
Objectives of the Project
The project has the following broad aims:
- Introduction of Information Security Curriculum at M.Tech & B.Tech level and Research Activity / PhD
- Train System Administrators by offering Diploma Course in Information Security, Certificate Course in Information Security, 6-weeks/2-weeks training programme in Information Security.
- Train Government Officers Central and State, on Information Security issues.
- Awareness Programme: Under this activity, Information Security information will be widely propagated in a planned manner.
- Education Exchange Programme:
The academic programmes viz. M.Tech, B.Tech. (retrofitted with Information Security Courses), Diploma course, Certificate course etc., are being implemented through 5 Resource Centres and 34 Participating Institutes. The Resource Centers will be the Mentoring Institutions for the Participating Institutes. The Resource Centers are premier institutes like IITs and IISc Bangalore while the Participating Institutes include National Institutes of Technology, Government Degree Engineering Colleges, Societies of DIT, etc.
Training of Central and State Government Officers
This activity is being carried out through Societies/ Attached Offices of DIT viz. NIC, STQC, DOEACC, ERNET, CDAC and CERT-In (DIT).
Under this activity, industry, educational institutions and individual computer users are being informed about Cyber / Information Security related issues.
Current Status of the Project
The following activities have been initiated/finalized so far:
- Nine Resource Centers (RCs) and thirty five Participating Institutes (PIs) for the project have been finalized. So far five RCs and thirty four PIs have signed the MOU for implementing the project.
- Six implementing agencies viz. DOEACC, ERNET India, CDAC, CERT-In, STQC Dte., and NIC identified for implementation of training of central and state government officers.
- Two Faculty Training Programmes for the PIs have been conducted by TIFR, Mumbai.
- Three batches of 20 officers/scientists/Engineers each have undergone Master Trainers Programmes at ISTM New Delhi; Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and Carnegie Mellon University (CMU), USA.
- The 1st phase of equipments have been procured and supplied by NICSI to the PIs for setting up of an Information Security Lab at their end. The procurement of equipment for 2 nd phase for the PIs and RCs is presently underway.
- Short-term training programmes for the executives/officers of Government organisations are being orgainsed by the Master Trainers.
- Scheme introduced for private participation in the project.
For further details please contact:
|Serial Number||Name and Designation of the Officer||Telephone Number||Fax Number|
|1||--||+91-11-24363106, 24366558||+91-11- 24366558||--|